please provide the previous years question papers foe APFC exam conducted by UPSC
please provide the previous years question papers foe APFC exam conducted by UPSC
- Previous year question papers of APFC exam? Also provide question papers for Practice? Details about Coaching institutes for preparations?
- APFC previous year question papers.
- APFC previous year question papers?
- APFC syllabus 2012 and previous year question. papers
- Previous year papers of UPSC APFO exam?
- Previous year question papers and practice papers for APFC exam?
- Syllabus and previous year question papers for APFO UPSC exam?
- Previous year papers of APFC exam?
- Previous year IBPS IT Officer technical section question papers for Computer Science?
- Previous year question papers of Bank PO/Clerical exam conducted by IBPS?
please provide the previous year exam paper of apfc conducted throgh upsc
apfc previous year question paper provided
sir plz give pape..............rs
This is Saurav from Bhubaneswar.Well its nice to see you all preparing for this UPSC exam with utmost seriousness.This exam is not a difficult one to crack.But yeah I do agree that it requires a lot of hard work and seriousness.Anyways I will surely provide enough details on this exam along with syllabus and books to be referred for preparation.Now without wasting a pinch of your time let come the topic.
SYLLABUS FOR A.P.F.C WRITTEN TEST
The syllabus for the post of Assistant Provident Fund Commissioner (APFC) comprises of the following 2 major parts.
PART A > General English -
This part will be designed to evaluate candidate's understanding of English language and vocabulary.But need not worry because the difficulty level of English will not be more than class 10 level.
PART B - General Studies/Awareness -
This part will broadly cover areas like Current Events,Indian Culture & Heritage,Indian National Movements,Population Development and Globalization,Governance and Constitution of India,Present Trends in Indian Economy,Accountancy and Auditing,Industrial Relations & Labour Laws,Insurance,Basic Knowledge of Computer Applications,General Science,Elementary Maths,Statistics.General Mental Abilities
NOTE : The medium of the test will be in both English and Hindi.
GENERAL CATEGORY - 135
O.B.C CATEGORY - 63
S.C. CATEGORY - 37
S.T. CATEGORY - 18
P.H. CATEGORY - 10
TOTAL - 253 POSTS
PAY SCALE - Rs. 15600-39100PB-3 Rs. 5400/- Grade pay Total emoluments excluding TA HRA at the time of initial appointment will be Rs. 34650/-p.m. approximately.
BOOKS (REFERENCE POINT OF VIEW):
1>ENGLISH : You have follow the "High school grammar and comprehension" by Wren and Martin.For vocabulary you have read the entire book "Word Power Made Easy" by Norman Lewis.These two books are enough.So need not follow other books.
2>GENERAL AWARENESS/STUDIES:You have to make a daily habit of reading newspapers and listen to BBC,CNN news channels.
you have buy any of the two books
link 1- http://www.flipkart.com/ies-psus-201...3-2ff799aa00c4
link 2 -http://www.flipkart.com/csat-general-studies-2012-5111128484/p/9785111128485?pid=9785111128485&ref=8d00d6af-acd6-43c4-b443-2ff799aa00c4
These above two books are the best selling books on general studies.However I am also providing a link for previous year questions
LINK = http://iasplanner.blogspot.in/2012/0...ion-paper.html
Hope my information would definitely help you ALL.Best of luck for your upcoming exam.
Dear Guest, Here is the original question paper for Union Public Service Commission Assistant Provident Fund Commissioners Examination, August 2002.
I hope it will be useful for you. But you may expect some new changes in question paper pattern for 2012 exam. Because since 2002, lot many things changed in UPSC exam pattern. So prepare for this exam considering the possible changes.
PART A: GENERAL ENGLISHDirections (Qs 1 to 4 ) : In each of these questions, you find a sentence, part of which is underlined. You may also find only a group of words which is underlined. For the underlined part, four words/phrases are listed below the sentence. Choose the word/phrase nearest in meaning to the underlined part.1. I rather like the quaint little house at end of the street. (a) Old (b) Quiet (c) Unusual (d) Haunted Ans: ( a ) Old2. If she continues to spend her time in such a frivolous manner, she will fail in her examinations. (a) Frightful (b) Leisurely (c) Non-serious (d) Calculated Ans: ( c ) Non-serious3. Sanguine as he is in his attitude to life and its problems, he cannot but be noticed wherever he goes. (a) Optimistic (b) Enthusiastic (c) Realistic (d) Dispassionate Ans: ( a ) Optimistic4. One?s remonstration against social ills has to be consistent to be fruitful. (a) Outrage (b) Demonstration (c) Protest (d) Criticism Ans: ( c ) ProtestANTONYMS:Directions (Qs. 5 to 7) : in this section, each item consists of a word or a phrase which is underlined in the sentence given. It is followed by four words or phrases. Select the word or phrase which is closet to the opposite in meaning of the underlined word or phrase. 5. The advice rendered to him sounded to be quite sagacious. (a) Stupid (b) Shallow (c) Impracticable (d) Insincere Ans: ( a ) Stupid6. The Indian cultural fair was held at Rome in a grandiose manner. (a) Unobtrusive (b) Unimposing (c) Unimpressive (d) Simple Ans: ( c ) Unimpressive7. His voice sounded haughty when I spoke to him over the telephone. (a) Pleasant (b) Humble (c) Soft (d) Cheerful Ans: ( a ) PleasantCOMPREHENSION:Directions (Qs. 8 to 12) : in this section, you have one short passage. Below the passage you will find several questions based on the passage. First, read passage to answer these questions based on it. PASSAGE: When you buy a car, examine carefully the important features of the model you are considering. Many a buyer of the latest models has got into trouble by buying a car too broad or too long for his garage. Furthermore, a long car is much harder to manoeuvre in traffic and much more difficult to park. Another feature is the comfort afforded. Are the seats nice and durably upholstered? Is there enough glass area to give the driver a good view in all directions, particularly to the rear? It should be remembered that the heavier and more powerful a car is, the more expensive it will be to operate. High powered motors require expensive high-octane petrol. The greater weight means greater tyre wear and enlarged brakes. The old cliché is still true; it is not initial cost but the upkeep which matters I!8. According to this passage, the two factors that the buyer of a new car should keep in mind are (a) Its price and size (b) Its model and upholstery (c) Its size and the comfort it offers (d) Its upholstery and glass area Ans: ( c ) Its size and the comfort it offers9. The size of the car should be in accordance with (a) The money one can afford to pay (b) The size of the garage the buyer has (c) The width of the road where the buyer lives (d) The volume of traffic on the road Ans: ( b ) The size of the garage the buyer has10. The writer favours a car with a wide glass area so that the driver can (a) enjoy the scene outside while driving (b) have a good view of the rear (c) roll down the glasspanes to get enough fresh air (d) display his beautiful upholstery with pride Ans: ( b ) have a good view of the rear11. It is very expensive to maintain a large car because it (a) is heavy (b) requires more space for parking (c) needs changing its tyres more frequently (d) needs more durable upholstery Ans: ( c ) needs changing its tyres more frequently12. While buying a new car, one should specially consider its (a) price (b) maintenance cost (c) upholstery (d) brakes Ans: ( b ) maintenance costDirections (Qs. 13 to 17) : Each of these questions carries a phrase/idiom. Select the correct answer out of the four given choices (A), (B), (C) or (D) which conveys the closest meaning of the given phrase/idiom.13. The world is one?s oyster (a) One feels that nobody in the world would help him/her (b) The feeling one gets when he lands in an unfamiliar country (c) One is able to enjoy all the pleasures and opportunities that life has to offer (d) When one has an uphill task to perform Ans: ( c ) One is able to enjoy all the pleasures and opportunities that life has to offer14. To go for the jugular (a) To work very hard for the success (b) To make a fierce destructive attack on the weakest point in an opponent?s argument (c) To go in for the costliest thing (d) To go in for dishonest means Ans: ( b ) To make a fierce destructive attack on the weakest point in an opponent?s argument15. To follow the primrose path (a) To follow one?s objectives very steadfastly (b) To go on wandering (c) To trek to the mountains (d) To go in for pursuit of pleasure or an easy life Ans: ( d ) To go in for pursuit of pleasure or an easy life16. A bee in one?s bonnet (a) To be very enterprising (b) To be very timid and shy (c) To have an impractical idea (d) To have a particular idea which occupies one?s thoughts continually Ans: ( d ) To have a particular idea which occupies one?s thoughts continually17. To take a rain-check (a) To decline an offer but promise to accept in later (b) To go through the weather report (c) To proceed on sightseeing (d) To take to farming as a source of livelihood Ans: ( a ) To decline an offer but promise to accept in laterSPOTTING ERRORS:Directions (Qs. 18 to 22 ) : In this section, in each of these questions, a sentence has three underlined parts (a), (b), (c) . Read each sentence to find out whether there is an error. If you find an error in any one of the underlined parts (a, b, c), select that part as your answer. If a sentence has no error, then mark your answer as (d) which stands for ?No error?. Errors may belong to grammer, usage or idiom. 18. Choose only (a) / such friends (b) / that you can trust. (c) / No error (d) Ans: ( c ) 19. While he was digging sand, (a) / a large mass fell (b) / and buried him completely. (c) / No error (d) Ans: ( d ) 20. The book is well printed and attractively bound (a) / making altogether (b) / an attractive volume. (c) / No error (d) Ans: ( b ) 21. A little younger (a) / to myself we, both were (b) / devoted to cricket and boating. (c) / No error (d) Ans: ( b ) 22. He had no sooner (a) / arrived than (b) / he was asked a leave again. (c) / No error (d) Ans: ( a ) Directions (Qs. 23 to 25) : In these questions, select the most suitable word from the choices (a), (b), (c) and (d) given below each sentence to fill in the blanks.23. The Rajputs always fought ?????? the last man. (a) upto (b) till (c) to (d) for Ans: ( c ) to24. I have been surfing internet ?????? the last two hours. (a) since (b) for (c) from (d) right from Ans: ( b ) for25. You should be considerate ?????? your employees and I assure you of your success in every walk of life. (a) for (b) to (c) upon (d) on Ans: ( b ) toPART B : GENERAL STUDIES26. If X is mortal, Y is wise, if Z is not good, a will suffer. Y is not wise, if A suffers. If B is slave, X is immortal. If A suffers, what follows ? (a) X is mortal (b) B is a slave (c) Z is good (d) Y is wise Ans: ( b ) B is a slave27. Consider the following statements regarding of India :1. Pressurised heavy water reactors have been set up at Kaiga (Karnataka) and Rawatbhata (Rajasthan).2. Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata, is one of the five Research Centres under the Department of Science and Technology.3. India has a vast resource of Thorium and the third stage of Indian Nuclear Power Programme envisages the use of Thorium for power generation.Which of these statements is/are correct? (a) 2 only (b) 1 and 2 (c) A and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 3 Ans: ( d ) 1, 2 and 328. Consider the following statements : According to Census 20011. The literacy rate increase for males is more than that of the females during last one decade.2. Amongst the States and Union Territories, Delhi has the highest population density while Sikkim has the lowest. 3. The correct sequence of population in descending order of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka is : Tamil Nadu ? Madhya Pradesh ? Rajasthan ? Karnataka which of these statements is/are correct? (a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1, 2 and 3 (d) 3 only Ans: ( d ) 3 only29. ?Sagar Samrat? is the name of (a) An island near Port Blair (b) A drilling ship in Bombay High (c) An island near Maldives (d) Name of a 5-star hotel in Goa Ans: ( b ) A drilling ship in Bombay High30. Who among the following was a great protagonist of the ?Doctrine of Lapse?? (a) Lord Dalhousie (b) Lord Minto (c) Lord Curzon (d) Lord Wellesley Ans: ( a ) Lord Dalhousie31. Chauri Chaura is known in the history of India?s struggle for freedom because (a) Gandhiji launched his first Satyagraha in India from this place (b) Gandhiji withdrew his Satyagraha movement when an irate mob set fire to a police station and burnt some policemen (c) Hundreds of freedom fighters were shot dead at this place by the police (d) Gandhiji sat on a hunger strike Ans: ( b ) Gandhiji withdrew his Satyagraha movement when an irate mob set fire to a police station and burnt some policemen32. Who among the following is the Chairman of Planning Commission in India ? (a) Finance Minister of India (b) Prime Minister of India (c) President of India (d) Home Minister of India Ans: ( b ) Prime Minister of India33. The ?Grand Trunk Road? connects (a) Kolkata and Mumbai (b) Delhi and Chennai (c) Kolkata and Amritsar (d) Tirupati and Ludhiana Ans: ( c ) Kolkata and Amritsar34. The Civil Disobedience Movement of 1930 culminated in the signing of a pact in 1931 by Gandhiji and (a) Lord Irwin (b) Lord Linlithgow (c) Lord Wavell (d) Lord Curzon Ans: ( a ) Lord Irwin35. Who among the following wrote the book Algebra of Infinite Justice ? (a) Anita Desai (b) Vikram Seth (c) Arundhati Roy (d) Rohington Mistry Ans: ( c ) Arundhati Roy36. Who among the following became the President of India without having been the Vice-president ? (a) Shri V. V. Giri (b) Shri Venkataraman (c) Shri N. Sanjeeva Reddy (d) Shri Zakir Hussain Ans: ( c ) Shri N. Sanjeeva Reddy37. In a group of 36 persons, a total of 16 take tea while 9 take tea but not coffee. How many persons in this group take coffee but not tea? (a) 27 (b) 20 (c) 25 (d) 11 Ans: ( b ) 2038. Two pipes ?A? and ?B? can fill a tank in 15 minutes and 20 minutes respectively. Both the pipes are opened together but after 4 minutes, pipe ?A? is turned off. What is the total time required to fill the tank ? (a) 10 mt 30 sec (b) 14 mt 40 sec (c) 10 mt 20 sec (d) 11 mt 45 sec Ans: ( b ) 14 mt 40 secDirections (Qs. 39 & 40) : A cube has six faces, each of a different colour. The red face is opposite to black. The green face is between red and black. The blue face is adjacent to white. The brown face is adjacent to blue. The red face is the bottom-most face.39. The four colours adjacent to green are (a) Red, black, blue and white (b) Red black, brown and blue (c) Red, black, brown and white (d) Red, brown, blue and white Ans: ( c ) Red, black, brown and white40. The face opposite to the brown face is (a) Red (b) White (c) Green (d) Blue Ans: ( b ) White41. Dhanvantari was (a) A famous General of Chandragupta Maurya (b) A noted physician in the court of Chandragupta Vikramaditya (c) A famous dramatist who lived during the time of Harsha (d) A musician in the Court of Ashoka Ans: ( b ) A noted physician in the court of Chandragupta Vikramaditya42. A factory has three belt conveyors fitted in its loading station. Conveyors ?A? and ?B? operating simultaneously lift all the goods in the same time during which the goods can be lifted by the conveyor ?C? operating alone. Conveyor ?B? lifts all the goods five hours faster than the conveyor ?C?. The durations of time required to lift all the goods, individually by the conveyors ?A?, ?B? and ?C? are (a) 17, 12, 8 hrs. (b) 15, 10, 6 hrs. (c) 16, 11, 7 hrs. (d) 14, 9, 5 hrs. Ans: ( b ) 15, 10, 6 hrs.43. ?Raksha Kavach? is (a) A new safety equipment designed for the soldiers of Indian Army (b) An anti-collision device to prevent collision between trains designed by the Konkan Railway Corporation (c) A new design for earthquake resistant buildings (d) A new device for the Indian airports for the safe landing of aircrafts Ans: ( b ) An anti-collision device to prevent collision between trains designed by the Konkan Railway Corporation44. Consider the following statements in respect of Soccer World Cup :1. Prior to FIFA-2002 Cup, Brazil had won the World Cup four times.2. ?Indomitable Lions? is the nickname for Cameroon team.3. ?Azzurri? is the nickname for the Italian team.4. Senegal, Slovenia and Ecuador participating in FIFA-2002 are the only teams participating in the World Cup for the first time.Which of these statements are correct ? (a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1, 3 and 4 (d) 1, 2 and 4 Ans: ( a ) 1, 2 and 345. Which tourist destination from amongst the following will be developed as an international destination for Tourism according to the Budget 2002-03 ? (a) Port Blair (b) Hampi (c) Pushkar (d) Nalanda Ans: ( c ) Pushkar46. Which positional value divides the series into equal parts ? (a) Median (b) Second quartile (c) 5th Decile (d) All of these Ans: ( a ) Median47. Consider the following statements :1. Launching of Fourth Five-year Plan was postponed and three Annual Plans had to be resorted to between 1966 and 1969.2. Fifth Five-year Plan was terminated a year earlier.3. Eighth Five-Year Plan commenced in 1992 instead of 1990.Which of these statements are correct? (a) 2 and 3 (b) 1 and 2 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 3 Ans: ( d ) 1, 2 and 348. Shri Rajender Singh won the Ramon Magsaysay Award for (a) Emergent Leadership (b) Community Leadership (c) Illiteracy Eradication (d) Bio-technology Ans: ( b ) Community Leadership49. Which among the following became the first woman Prime Minister in the world? (a) Indira Gandhi (b) Kim Campbell (c) Margaret Thatcher (d) Sirimavo Bandaranaike Ans: ( d ) Sirimavo Bandaranaike50. Consider the following statements :1. Part ?B? of the Budget speech of the Finance Minister includes description of the initiatives on economic front to be taken up by the Government for the coming year in addition to direct and indirect tax proposals.2. The receipts on account of the partial disinvestments of Central Government?s holdings in the equity capital of public sector enterprises are revenue receipts.Which of these statements is/are correct? (a) 1 only (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2 Ans: ( c ) Both 1 and 251. Carbohydrates are stored in the body as (a) Sugars (b) Starch (c) Glucose (d) Glycogen Ans: ( c ) Glucose52. Consider the following statements :1. Intel?s Pentium IV is an operating system used in PCs2. During booting period of a PC, the operating system is first loaded.3. Analogue computers are useful only in scientific field while digital computers have application in scientific as well as in business, administrative functions.4. Micro-computer is another name for micro-processor.Which of these statements are correct ? (a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 4 (d) 1, 2 and 4 Ans: ( b ) 2 and 353. Bacteria and viruses cause (a) Allergies (b) Non-communicable diseases (c) Degenerative diseases (d) Infectious diseases Ans: ( d ) Infectious diseases54. Substances which are obtained from micro-organisms but used to destroy micro-organisms are (a) Antigens (b) Antibiotics (c) Antibodies (d) Antiseptics Ans: ( b ) Antibiotics55. Consider the following statements concerning United Arab Emirates :1. Oman is one of the seven Emirates which form the United Arab Emirates.2. Dubai is the capital of United Arab Emirates.3. Fishing and tourism are the key industries of United Arab Emirates.Which of these statements is/are correct ? (a) 1 and 2 (b) 3 only (c) 2 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 3 Ans: ( c ) 2 and 356. The Comptroller and Auditor-General of India is appointed by the (a) Prime Minster (b) President (c) Finance Minster (d) Home Minister Ans: ( b ) President57. The foreign traveler who visited India during Vijayanagar period was (a) Megasthenes (b) Yuan Chwang (c) Fa-hien (d) Nicolo Conti Ans: ( d ) Nicolo ContiDirections (Qs. 58 to 65 ) : These questions consist of two statements, one labeled the ?Assertion (A)? and the other labeled the ?Reason (R)?. You are to examine these two statements carefully and decide if the Assertion (A) and the Reason (R) are individually true and if so, whether the Reason (R) is a correct explanation of the Assertion (A). Select your answers to these items using the Codes given below :(a) Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A(b) Both A and R are true but R is Not the correct explanation of A(c) A is true but R is false(d) A is false but R is true 58. Assertion (A) : Amongst the three strategies : overall cost leadership, differentiation and market segmentation; a company with differentiation strategy has less competition from both its direct competitors and from potential substitutes. Reason (R) : Its consumers have greater brand loyalty, and, therefore, less price sensitivity. Ans: ( a ) 59. Assertion (A) : In the organizational structure of the modern companies, the trend is towards wider span of control. Reason (R) : narrow span of control discourages autonomy. Ans: ( a ) 60. Assertion (A) : Unity of command cannot always be strictly applied in practice.Reason (R) : Workers should report to different supervisors for different aspects or tasks ? technical, financial, administrative, etc. Ans: ( a ) 61. Assertion (A) : Point of order is raised to criticize a policy of the government.Reason (R) : It is an important tool of legislative control. Ans: ( a ) 62. Assertion (A) : A bus and a car (with lower weight than that of the bus) moving at the same velocity, are brought to rest on a level road by applying brakes which exert same retarding force. The car will travel lesser distance before coming to rest.Reason (R) : The kinetic energy to be destroyed is equal to the work done by the retarding force. Ans: ( a ) 63. Assertion (A) : A train has come out of the platform and is accelerating if a person sitting in the train and facing engine, throws up a coin, it will fall ahead of him.Reason (R) : A force acts on the coin whose magnitude is equal to the product of the mass of the coin and acceleration of the train. Ans: ( d ) 64. Assertion (A) : Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) is useful in a manufacturing company. It does not find application in service industry.Reason (R) : Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) enables a high level of interaction and coordination along the supply chain. Ans: ( a ) 65. Assertion (A) : Macro-economics deals with the study of aggregates and averages.Reason (R) : Central problem of macro economics is the determination of income and employment. Ans: ( d ) 66. Which leader is called the ?father? of India?s social reform movement? (a) Mahatma Gandhi (b) Raja Rammohan Roy (c) G. K. Gokhale (d) Lokmanya Tilak Ans: ( b ) Raja Rammohan Roy67. Which of the following statements is not correct ? (a) The 42nd Amendment extended the term of Lik Sabha and State Legislative Assemblies from 5 years to 6 years. (b) The president can dissolve the Lok Sabha on the advice of the Prime Minister. (c) Money Bills cannot be introduced in the Rajya Sabha. (d) One third members of the Rajya Sabha retire on the expiry of every third year. Ans: ( a ) The 42nd Amendment extended the term of Lik Sabha and State Legislative Assemblies from 5 years to 6 years.68. Nalanda University flourished during the reign of which of the following rules? (a) Chandragupta Maurya (b) Ashoka (c) Kanishka (d) Harsha Ans: ( d ) Harsha69. Recently, Cannes Film Festival was held in (a) Switzerland (b) France (c) Italy (d) England Ans: ( b ) France70. The device to convert alternating current into direct current is (a) Transformer (b) Rectifier (c) Alternator (d) Condenser Ans: ( b ) Rectifier71. Shri Kiran Karnik is the (a) President of NASSCOM (b) Chairman of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (c) Chairman of Maharashtra State Public Service Commission (d) Managing Director of Engineers India Ltd. Ans: ( a ) President of NASSCOM72. Knesset is the name of the Parliament of (a) Norway (b) Sweden (c) Israel (d) Spain Ans: ( c ) Israel73. Combustion of a candle is a (a) Photochemical reaction (b) Exothermic reaction (c) Physical change (d) Endothermic reaction Ans: ( b ) Exothermic reaction74. Which of the following is a chemical compound ? (a) Air (b) Oxygen (c) Ammonia (d) Mercury Ans: ( c ) Ammonia75. Consider the following statements :1. Bermuda situated in Western Atlantic Ocean is a United Kingdom Overseas Territory.2. 38th Parallel divided boundary between North and South Vietnam before unification. 3. Bahamas situated near Florida is one of the states of USA.Which of these statements is/are correct? (a) 1 only (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1 and 2 Ans: ( a ) 1 only76. Consider the following statements :1. Falkland Islands are situated in Pacific Ocean.2. Red Sea separates Sudan from Egypt. 3. England, Norway, Denmark surround North Sea.Which of these statements is/are correct? (a) 2 only (b) 1and 3 (c) 2 and 3 (d) 3 only Ans: ( d ) 3 only77. Which is the correct sequence of the given American cities from West to East? (a) Salt Lake City ? Pittsburg-San Francisco-Boston (b) San Francisco-Salt Lake City-Pittsburg-Boston (c) Salt Lake City-San Francisco-Boston-Pittsburg (d) San Francisco-Pittsburg-Salt Lake City-Boston Ans: ( b ) San Francisco-Salt Lake City-Pittsburg-Boston78. Consider the following statements :1. The demand for commodities having a large number of close substitutes is less elastic than the commodities having a smaller number of substitutes. 2. Luxury items have a highly elastic demand.3. The commodities whose consumption cannot easily be postponed have less elastic demand. Which of these statements is/are correct? (a) 1 only (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 2 (d) 1, 2 and 3 Ans: ( b ) 2 and 379. A town ?P? is located in a particular district. The town ?A? is west of ?P?. Town ?T? is east of ?P?. Town ?K? is east of ?B? but west of ?T? and ?A?. They are all in the same district. Which town is the farthest west? (a) P (b) K (c) B (d) A Ans: ( c ) B80. Recently, Government disinvested stake in VSNL, IBP and IPCL to (a) Bharti Telesonic, Reliance and GAIL, respectively (b) Tata Group of Industries, Indian Oil Corporation and Reliance, respectively (c) Bharti Telesonic, Royal Dutch Shell and Pfizer, respectively (d) Motorola, Kuwait petroleum and Ranbaxy, respectively Ans: ( b ) Tata Group of Industries, Indian Oil Corporation and Reliance, respectively
81. Stockholm Syndrome is a mental condition experienced by (a) The young persons who take up jobs in the industry after passing out from the Management Schools (b) Persons who migrate from rural areas to urban cities, during the earlier stages of their stay (c) Drug-addicts in the rehabilitation centers (d) Hostages and kidnap victims in which positive feelings develop towards their captors Ans: ( d ) Hostages and kidnap victims in which positive feelings develop towards their captors82. Latitude of a place is indicative of its (a) Time (b) Altitude (c) Amount of rainfall (d) Temperature Ans: ( b ) Altitude83. What is the maximum number of pieces 1 cm in diameter and 20cm long that can be cut out of a cylindrical wooden block 20cm in length and 3cm in diameter ? (a) 4 (b) 5 (c) 6 (d) 7 Ans: ( b ) 584. A group of boys decided to buy a few cassettes whose price was between Rs. 200 and Rs. 250. But at the time of purchase, two of the boys declined to contribute as a result of which the remaining boys had to pay Re. 1 more than they had originally planned. What was the price of the cassettes if the boys contributed equally and in whole number of rupees? (a) Rs. 220 (b) Rs. 210 (c) Rs. 230 (d) Rs. 240 Ans: ( a ) Rs. 22085. Consider the following statements :1. Alluvial soil is rich in chemical properties and is capable of yielding Rabi and Kharif crops.2. Black soil is suitable for cotton, groundnut.3. Rabi crops are reaped in outumn after sowing in the June.Which of these statements are correct? (a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 1 and 2 (c) 2 and 3 (d) 1 and 3 Ans: ( b ) 1 and 2Directions (Qs. 86 to 90) : Sumeet, Philips Wasim, Bishan and Chetan are five players of the College Cricket team and their home towns are Surat, Pune, Warangal, Bangalore and Chandigarh but not in that order. The five specialist slots of spinner, pace bowler, wicket-keeper, batsman and the captain are held by them, again not in the order of their names stated above.(i) Their names, home towns and the specialiteis do not start with the same letter.(ii) Neither Philps nor Wasim is the captain and they do not belong to either Surat or Bangalore.(iii) Sumeet is neither a wicket-keeper nor a batsman.(iv) Pune is not Bishan?s home town.(v) The player who hails from Bangalore is a wicket-keeper.(vi) The captian?s home town is Pune while the batsman does not hail from Warangal.86. The spinner?s home town is (a) Pune (b) Warangal (c) Bangalore (d) Chandigarh Ans: ( b ) Warangal87. Chandigarh is home town of (a) Philips (b) Wasim (c) Bishan (d) Sumeet Ans: ( b ) Wasim88. Who is the pace bowler? (a) Bishan (b) Sumeet (c) Wasim (d) Chetan Ans: ( a ) Bishan89. Who is the spinner? (a) Wasim (b) Bishan (c) Chetan (d) Philips Ans: ( d ) Philips90. Chetan?s home town is (a) Bangalore (b) Warangal (c) Surat (d) Pune Ans: ( a ) Bangalore91. A and B stand in a circular ring with 10 other persons. If the arrangement of 12 persons is randomly done, the change that there are exactly 3 persons between A and B is (a) 3/10 (b) 2/11 (c) 2/13 (d) 3/11 Ans: ( a ) 3/1092. Consider the following statements :While it is 6.30 AM (Sunday) in London, it is around1. 2.30 AM (Sunday) in Honolulu (Hawaii)2. 8.30 PM (Saturday) in Honolulu (Hawaii)3. 3.30 PM (Sunday) in Tokyo4. 1.30 AM (Sunday) in Tokyowhich of these statements is/are correct? (a) 4 only (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 4 (d) 2 and 4 Ans: ( b ) 2 and 393. Consider the following statements :1. Prime Meridian passes through Greenwich and is at 00 Longitude.2. International Date Line on the map appears as a straight line along 1800 Longitude.3. While crossing International Date Line from east to west, one gains a day.4. Tropic of Cancer lies at23½0 Latitude S.Which of these statements are correct ? (a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 1 and 2 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 2 and 3 Ans: ( b ) 1 and 294. 15 men can complete a work in 280 days. They started the work and after every 10 days, 15 additional men were employed. In how many days the work was completed? (a) 70 days (b) 60 days (c) 55 days (d) 50 days Ans: ( a ) 70 days95. Bag ?A? contains 5 white and 2 black balls. Bag ?B? contains 2 white and 3 black balls. If any one bag is chosen and a ball is taken out of it at random, what is the probability that the ball is black? (a) 31/70 (b) 1/2 (c) 5/12 (d) 3/5 Ans: ( a ) 31/7096. Three containers have their volumes in the ratio 3 : 4 : 5. They are full of mixtures of milk and water. The mixtures contain milk and water in the ratio of 4 : 1, 3 : 1 and 5 : 2 respectively. The contents of all these three containers are poured into a fourth container. The ratio of milk and water in the fourth container is (a) 5 : 2 (b) 157 : 53 (c) 151 : 48 (d) 4 : 1 Ans: ( b ) 157 : 5397. Two dice are thrown simultaneously. The probability that the product of the two numbers on the two dice is an even number is (a) 1/2 (b) 3/4 (c) 5/16 (d) 3/8 Ans: ( b ) 3/498. Consider the following statements :1. For the three All-India Services, there are 24 State Cadres including three joint cadres.2. Union Public Service Commission is the cadre controlling authority for Indian Administrative Service.3. Staff Selection Commission is entrusted with the task of making recruitment to all the Group ?B? and Group ?C? posts under the Government. Which of these statements is/are correct? (a) 1 only (b) 1 and 2 (c) 2 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 3 Ans: ( none ) 1 and 3 are correct99. Crop yield Formulation Unit which has developed statistical models to forecast crop yield works under the control of (a) Ministry of Water Resources (b) Department of Agriculture and Co-operation (c) India Meteorological Department (d) Department of Food and Public Distribution Ans: ( c ) India Meteorological Department100. East Timor, the latest independent nation in the world, was ruled by (a) Indonesia (b) Australia (c) Malaysia (d) Philippines Ans: ( a ) Indonesia101. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched ? (a) National Aluminium Company Ltd. : Bhubaneswar (b) Indian Bureau of Mines : Dhanbad (c) National Film Archives of India : Pune (d) National Archives of India : New Delhi Ans: ( a ) National Aluminium Company Ltd. : Bhubaneswar102. The flowers in a basket become double every minute and the basket gets full in one hour. In how much time, the basket was 1/32 full ? (a) 12 minutes (b) 32 minutes (c) 45 minutes (d) 55 minutes Ans: ( d ) 55 minutes